Remember the root word of customer is “custom”. Everyone today wants it “my” way. And they want it when they want it – 24/7/365 at 2 a.m. And they want it how they want it (downloads, shipped, never have to leave the house). In this day of “custom” treatment how can you make your business stand out in the crowd.
You can wow your customers in 10 easy steps.
Make sure your business or presence is attractive. If it’s a physical location, is it neat and tidy. If it’s a digital home, make sure it’s easy to navigate, clear and crisp.
- Make sure they are dealing with knowledgeable people.
- Make sure you are credible.
- Make sure you are responsive. Be quick in following up or in answering a question.
- Be friendly. Smile when you talk to them, even on the phone (yes, it does carry through in your voice). Tone makes up 25% of a person’s perception of you. Body Language accounts for another 55%. Sometimes the words you say don’t match the tone or stance they are delivered from. This creates a conflict in the way you are perceived.
- Be helpful.
- Have empathy. Show them you can relate with them – yes, you’ve been there too! You have to sound like you care.
- Be courteous – the Golden Rule is a must. Make sure you are focused on them and not on the 13 emails that just popped up on your screen. Distracted listening only leads to misunderstandings.
- Be competent
- Be professional.