You can probably relate to going through the motions at work and losing focus on more occasions that you can count. It happens to the best of us – losing mental sharpness in the workplace is something that can creep up and cause you to lose productivity.
That’s a scenario you definitely don’t want because lost productivity catches the attention of your employer, and could negatively affect your employment! And now that the reality of committing professional suicide has hit you face on, it’s time to look at ways to maintain mental sharpness on the job so your career remains secure.
Try these easy techniques for staying on top of your game while at work:
- Get enough rest at night. You’d be so surprised to know how much of an impact a restful night’s sleep can have on your performance at work the next day. If you allow yourself to get into the habit of limiting sleep, your body may adjust and you’ll feel like you’re performing optimally.
- However, nothing could be further from the truth. Lack of restful sleep directly impacts your mental sharpness, even if you don’t “feel tired.” Aim to get between six and eight hours of sleep at night so your mind can be fresh and sharp each morning.
- Take regular breaks during the day. The same case applies to taking regular breaks during the course of the work day. Sometimes work can be so overwhelming that you don’t even realize how much time has passed. It can really wear on your mind and result in less than desired accuracy.
- Try to split your day into two time periods and set specific times for breaks.
- During your breaks, use the time to do anything other than work. A walk around the block can be surprisingly refreshing!
- Work on a schedule. Always try to pace yourself when working. Learn to schedule enough work that you know you can accomplish, but not too much that it will be a burden to you. The more you practice, the better you’ll get at estimating how much time various tasks will take. Schedule specific time slots for every function, and aim to complete them in that time.
- Taking this approach will allow you to maintain productivity without having a dull mind. Of course, there will be days when you feel you can do much more. By all means, go for it.
- Say something if you don’t understand. Sometimes, because you want to impress your employers, you may take on a task without fully understanding what is required of you. Then, you make the mistake of trying to figure it out on your own.
- You’d be surprised how much of a negative impact this can have on your mental capacity that day! You spend your work time trying to understand the task instead of actually doing it. Avoid this situation by saying you don’t understand when you don’t.
These tips for maintaining mental sharpness in the workplace are easy to implement. Start with one strategy. Once you perfect it, move on to another one. Remember that your aim is to achieve the highest level of productivity you can on a regular basis. Avoid putting yourself in the position where you’re unable to maintain your output because of a lack of mental sharpness.
Stay on top of things at work! Be the stellar employee that everyone else emulates by sharpening your mind and keeping it that way.
If you want more secrets to professional success, you can:
Join my membership site The Career Accelerator and fast track your career.
Subscribe to my YouTube channel and watch quick tips to help your job search or make yourself promotable.
Join my private Successfully Ever After Facebook Group for trainings and information designed for success-seekers.