I am sure most of us consider ourselves to be honest people. Outside of the odd white lie, we find it difficult to lie to our friends and loved ones. This makes it all the more confusing then that we find it so easy to lie to ourselves. You might have bristled at this thought, huffed, and thought, “I do no such thing!” The nine lies below are common lies we tell ourselves. Sometimes they are harmless, but often they hold us back from reaching our goals. Read through to the end, for some action steps you can implement today to help overcome these roadblocks.
I’ll Get to It Eventually
How many times have you told yourself this, then failed to “get to it”? If you are like most of us – plenty of times! It is much better to set a specific deadline for all of your tasks. Alternatively, you could just do it now as well.
I Can’t Escape My Past
Many of us have skeletons in our closets, or if not, trauma that we never properly dealt with. The reality is you can get over your past. Your past doesn’t define you. You might have to work a little harder or work on yourself, but you can get past your past.
There is Something Wrong With Me
Have you ever felt like such a failure that you assume there must be something wrong with you? This a powerful lie that can hold you back from even trying to accomplish your goals. Whether you are different, struggling, or even failing, that is circumstance. That isn’t who you inherently are as a person.
I Know Exactly What I Am Doing
Self-confidence is a powerful tool in your arsenal. Confidence is also something we can learn. That said, we need to be careful not to go overboard. There is nothing wrong with being honest that you need some help because you don’t know what you are doing.
I Would Be Happy If Only…
I know it’s easy to focus on what you want or think you need for happiness, but it rarely works out that way. Even if you acquire what you think you need to be happy, you will just move the goalposts further and think about something else. You need to figure out how to be happier on your terms.
I Am Too Busy to…
While this is true sometimes, and especially true for people who are working and raising a family, a lot of the time, it isn’t. Downtime is important, but almost all of us waste time in some fashion. Take an honest appraisal of your day, and you will likely find some extra time to spare.
I Can Change Him/Her
I bet a couple of you are nodding in agreement about this one! Many of us have this moment where we meet someone we like, but they are toxic to be around. You think that with enough love and caring, you can change this person. We always find out that we can’t. It isn’t even our job to try and change someone else. That’s on them.
I’m Too Old To…
I heard a 25-year-old the other day say they were too old to do something. I had never felt older. The reality is, we can still do almost anything we want as we age. It’s never too late to go back to school or change career. It’s not too late to take chances. It’s never too late for you to try and live the life you dream about.
I’m a Failure
While all of us will deal with failure at one time, that does not make us failures. Failure is something we deal with; it isn’t something we are. If you feel like a born loser that always fails, try to focus on your wins. We all have some wins in our lives, no matter how small they may seem. Also, failing is good – it is the best way to learn about yourself.
- Read over the list of lies we tell ourselves and figure out if you use any of them. Pay special attention to any lies you might use regularly.
- Take a sheet of paper, and mark a line down the center from top to bottom. On the left-hand side, write down the lies you tell yourself. Feel free to add any other lies we may have missed as well.
- On the right-hand side of the paper, counter each of those lies. Either write down reasons they aren’t true or the steps you can take to ensure they aren’t true.
- Join my Success Mindset Course.
It’s time to unleash your Success Brain. Once you unlock your own personal code, it allows you to gain the inner confidence needed to share your talents, capabilities and goals with the world.
When you join me on this journey, you’ll learn how to:
- Create a mindset that pursues success and isn’t afraid of failure
- Attack limiting beliefs
- Eliminate self-limiting thought patterns
- Create intentions and goals that match your personal version of success
- Defeat negative habits and create new, empowering habits
- Create a plan for living the best year of your life
Now is the perfect time to invest in your success. Success Brain is normally $
99, but you can get it for less than half price right now. I know times are tough so it’s even more important you work through what’s holding you back so you can get paid what you’re worth.
Right now, SUCCESS BRAIN is only $47.
What benefits will you receive from this course?
- You’ll create a mindset that is naturally attracted to success.
- You’ll come to know your own, personal version of success.
- You’ll learn how to create effective goals and how to make them a reality.
- You’ll understand how to eliminate negative habits.
- You’ll learn how to install new habits that support your goals.
- You’ll have a strategy for putting all the information together to create the best year you’ve ever had.
Join me inside Success Brain and together we’ll kick those limiting beliefs to the curb and start laying the building blocks of a personal brand designed to put you on your unique path to success.
If you want more secrets to building a successful career brand, you can:
Join Successfully Ever After an online course designed to help you create a personal brand designed with career success in mind within 30 days.
Subscribe to my YouTube channel and watch quick tips to help your job search or make yourself promotable.
Join my private Successfully Ever After Facebook Group for trainings and information designed for success-seekers.
Check out my audio books: Get Noticed, Get Hired or When In Doubt, Delete It!
Need a brand coach? Schedule a consultation and let’s talk!