Looking for a job – a tough feat in any field – can be even harder when the economy and job markets are crazy. Good marketing can set you apart from other candidates if you know how to properly promote yourself.
You might have better skills and knowledge than other candidates in your field, but unfortunately, if they have more effective marketing, they might have a better shot at the job. The system is not always fair, but if you play your cards right, you can end up landing any job you want. Building a personal brand is vital for your career success.
Doing Your Homework
When you’re looking for a job, be organized and prepared. Do your homework first. Determine the specific jobs that you’d like and whether or not you currently have the proper skill set to apply.
If you don’t have the skills, perhaps you can find a program where you can get specialized training to develop them. If you do have the required skills, start working on your resume in order to highlight the specific skills you have that pertain to the job you want.
In addition, do your research on the company where you’re applying. Potential employers will be impressed with your knowledge of the company and know that you’re serious about getting the job.
When it comes to marketing yourself, there are specific things you can do to make yourself more attractive to the company. Some of them are subtler than others.
Try using the following tips to effectively promote your personal brand in a way that lands you the job you want:
- Tweak your resume. Your resume is clearly vital when it comes to landing a job. It’s a simple piece of paper that describes what you’ve done in order to prepare for the specific job. Customize your resume to include items that are specific to the job for which you’re applying. In fact, employers prefer that you keep it simple and on topic.
- Come dressed for success. Always pay close attention to what you wear when you’re making a first impression. It says a lot about you. Dressing for success increases your chances of landing the job.
- Be ready to nail the interview. At the interview, smile and stay as relaxed as possible. You’ll want to appear friendly as well as knowledgeable in your field.
- Remember that you’re always a student. Be humble, without selling yourself short, when you’re looking for a job. There’s always something else you could add to your skill set to compliment your current skills. Being able to easily cross train might set you apart from your competition.
- Check your own Internet sources. “Google” yourself to check on what public information appears on the net about you. If there’s something you might not want potential employers to see, find out if you can have it removed.
- Come prepared to share new ideas. Before the interview, practice thinking on your feet and presenting new ideas with a friend. Then, you’ll be ready for any opportunity at the interview to share these ideas. When you do, it’ll show that you’re willing to go the extra mile and think creatively.
- Explain what sets you apart. If you’re given the chance, explain what sets you apart from your competition. It’s a great way to really sell yourself to the employer.
A big key to landing the job you desire is creating a personal brand designed to make you stand out over ever other applicant. Build your brand in a way that showcases your accomplishments and what makes you uniquely qualified for the position and you’ll go far.
If you want more secrets to building a successful career brand, you can:
Join Successfully Ever After an online course designed to help you create a personal brand designed with career success in mind within 30 days.
Subscribe to my YouTube channel and watch quick tips to help your job search or make yourself promotable.
Join my private Successfully Ever After Facebook Group for trainings and information designed for success-seekers.